Carbon monoxide is a toxic gas, but, being colourless, odourless, tasteless, and initially non-irritating, it is difficult for people to detect. Carbon monoxide is a product of incomplete combustion of organic matter. It is often produced by motor vehicles that run on gasoline, diesel, methane, or other carbon-based fuels and from tools, gas heaters, and cooking equipment that are powered by carbon-based fuels such as propane, butane and charcoal. Exposure at 100 ppm or greater can be dangerous to human health
DID YOU KNOW?
Carbon monoxide poisoning is the most common type of fatal poisoning in many countries.
Carbon monoxide poisoning occurs after breathing too much carbon monoxide(CO). Symptoms of mild acute poisoning include lightheadedness, confusion, headache, feeling like the world is spinning, and flu-like effects. Larger exposures can lead to toxicity of the central nervous system and heart, and death. After acute poisoning, long-term problems may occur. Carbon monoxide can also have negative effects on a baby if exposed during pregnancy. Chronic exposure to low levels of carbon monoxide can lead to depression, confusion, and memory loss.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission has stated, “carbon monoxide detectors are as important to home safety as smoke detectors are,” and recommends each home have at least one carbon monoxide detector, and preferably one on each level of the building. These devices, which widely available, are either battery- or AC-powered, with or without battery backup. In buildings, carbon monoxide detectors are usually installed around heaters and other equipment. If a relatively high level of carbon monoxide is detected, the device sounds an alarm, giving people the chance to evacuate and ventilate the building. Unlike smoke detectors, carbon monoxide detectors do not need to be placed near ceiling level.
The use of carbon monoxide detectors has been standardized in many areas. Carbon monoxide detector guidelines published by the National Fire Protection Association, mandates the placement of carbon monoxide detectors/alarms on every level of the residence, including the basement, in addition to outside sleeping areas. In new homes, AC-powered detectors must have battery backup and be interconnected to ensure early warning of occupants at all levels. It is highly recommended that you test your entire system regularly.
WHAT CAN YOU DO?
One way to prevent extreme or even mild exposure to carbon monoxide is to install a carbon monoxide detector, either on their own or connected to a full security system. Carbon monoxide detectors guard you and your family against this odourless, invisible and fatal gas.
For more information, please contact ProTELEC Alarms at 877-949-1417.